Re: Bravura font

From: Xavier Scheuer
Subject: Re: Bravura font
Date: Sun, 16 Jun 2013 23:14:54 +0200

On 16 June 2013 20:46, Werner LEMBERG <address@hidden> wrote:

> And here a new, freely available music font!
>
>   http://blog.steinberg.net/2013/05/introducing-bravura-music-font/

Yeah, it was mentioned on lilypond-user last month.
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2013-05/msg00718.html
And it seems that makes Janek enthusiast also, maybe too much
(called "Lilypond evangelism").

> (this is *really* free since it uses the SIL Open Font License).

Totally!
That means it can be used, bundled, modified and redistributed freely
(SIL OFL is a copyleft license, considered free by the Free Software
Foundation, as well as by the Debian project).
So we could imagine some sort of "music font package" that could be
used by LilyPond instead (or better, alongside with) Feta, same for
Gonville, LilyJazz (and now Bravura).

People on the French users mailing lists are really enthusiasts about
Torsten's Jazz font, but they have somehow hard time to make it work
properly in LilyPond.  Some of them do not like the aspect (font) of
some glyphs/grobs of LilyPond and would like to change the music font
*grob by grob*.  So it would be possible to mix Feta, Gonville,
LilyJazz (and Bravura) music font in one same score.

Easier support for alternative music fonts, (text) jazz font for chords
as well as fontspec-like OpenType font features are three majors
improvements for LilyPond.
Maybe this could be added as a special Google Summer of Code project
(in the spirit of Google free webfonts), or some kind of
Kikstarter(-like) project?

Cheers,
Xavier

--