Re: Google search bar issues

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: Google search bar issues
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2013 15:15:44 -0700

On Fri, Jun 28, 2013 at 02:19:07PM -0700, Mark Polesky wrote:
> 1)
> We don't want the old docs indexed by Google, because users who google
> something like "lilypond titles" can end up unknowingly reading 2.12
> docs, for example (currently the top match, btw).
>
> One consequence of preventing Google from indexing old docs is that
> someone who actually wants to search for something in an old manual
> won't be able to, except by doing it manually, browsing through the
> nodes.  Personally, I'm okay with this.

Yes, me too.

> 2)
> Users who use the search bar from the stable docs should only be
> served google hits from the stable docs.  See
> http://code.google.com/p/lilypond/issues/detail?id=3209
>
> Our current tactic is to serve them only the development docs, which I
> confess I don't fully understand.

Eh?  If I start at lilypond.org and go to manuals, I end up on the
2.16 docs.  I can only find the 2.17 docs by going to
Community->Development and scrolling down, which IMO is correctly
rather hard to find by accident.

... I just tried searching in the Notation manual bottom-left
search box, and it also gives me 2.16 docs.  Did I misunderstand
what you're describing?

> Is it possible to change the URL's from `v2.16' to `stable'?
> http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.15/Documentation/
> http://lilypond.org/doc/stable/Documentation/
> http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.17/Documentation/

It's certainly possible, but that involves poking parts of the
release process (both in the lilypond git repo and the GUB git
repo) with a sharp stick, and Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus.
I don't think the risk is worth the gain.  If this was to be done,
I'd recommend doing it in a Waltrop-like environment where we have
multiple python+build system experts in the same room.