Re: LilyPond developer meeting Waltrop 2013

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: LilyPond developer meeting Waltrop 2013
Date: Sat, 29 Jun 2013 05:31:15 +0200

Thomas Morley <address@hidden> writes:

> 2013/6/12 Janek Warchoł <address@hidden>:
>> Excellent! Count me in.
>> Janek
>
> Me, too.
>
>> 2013/6/11 David Kastrup <address@hidden>:
> [...]
>>> Things that might warrant working on are
> [..]
>>> Markup redesign
>
> Could you give a short hint what this would be about?

We currently have markup lists and markups, and markup list commands and
markup commands.  The main difference between a markup list command and
a markup command is that a markup list command returns a list of
stencils while a markup command returns a single stencil.

If we create a stencil type of stencil-list that is converted via the
equivalent of \line whenever it appears in a single-markup context, this
difference might decrease.  Doing a similar thing with markup lists vs
markups might make it possible to eliminate it.

That's one possible project.  Another is trying to get the total mess
that the mixture of make-xxx-markup and (markup #:xxx) and
xxx-markup-command is into a saner shape.  In particular the markup
macro is good for lots of scoping problems.  If one got the situation
into a shape where the markup macro could translate to make-xxx-markup
mechanically without having to look up the definitoin of xxx, we'd
disentangle a whole lot of this mess (also affecting Guilev2 migration).
Merging markup commands and markup list commands would seem like a good
first step in that direction.

That's just some idea off the top of my head.  But frankly, there is
enough in the markup/stencil area that would warrant making more
systematic.