Re: NR and headers

From: Phil Holmes
Subject: Re: NR and headers
Date: Tue, 2 Jul 2013 13:03:55 +0100

----- Original Message ----- From: "Graham Percival" <address@hidden>
To: "Phil Holmes" <address@hidden>
Cc: "Devel" <address@hidden>
Sent: Friday, June 28, 2013 5:40 PM

On Fri, Jun 28, 2013 at 04:57:23PM +0100, Phil Holmes wrote:
I'm doing my updates to Section 3 of the NR and correcting poor
layout of headers and footers, and from my reading we don't have a
guaranteed exhaustive list of all the variables usable in the header
and footer.  Is that right?  It would seem useful.

Over the years, we've had a few attempts at creating such a thing
(either as a list or as an input file; I of course favour the
latter).  To my knowledge, they were never guaranteed to be
exhaustic (i.e. the relevant doc-writer, including me on at least
occasion, didn't dig through the scheme files), and were certainly
not maintained.

I agree that a guaranteed exhaustive input file showing all
headers and footers would be great.  Don't forget the work James
did on supporting multiple page sizes; we can easily show
multi-page headers/footers in the docs using papersize=a8 or =a6.

- Graham

It turns out that "Default layout of bookpart and score titles" does inded give all the header variables (I've checked) and says it does. "This example demonstrates all \header variables:"

--
Phil Holmes