Re: we now have "lilypond" organization on GitHub

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: we now have "lilypond" organization on GitHub
Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2013 14:09:22 +0200

Joseph Rushton Wakeling <address@hidden> writes:

> On 22/09/13 17:21, Phil Holmes wrote:
>> IMHO this is solving a problem that doesn't exist.  Using LilyDev (possibly
>> in a
>> Virtual Machine) provides git and git-cl.  Git allows a developer to create a
>> patch with 2 commands: git commit and git format-patch.  That can be
>> uploaded to
>> Rietveld with a single command (possibly 2 commands, depending on what you
>> were
>> doing earlier).  When the review is passed, it can be pushed to staging with
>> 4
>> simple commands; or mailed to -devel for any active developer without push
>> access - these are very rare.
>>
>> How hard is that?
>
> (1) If you need to install a VM or a custom distro flavour to hack on
> a project, your design setup is very likely to be wrong.

You _are_ aware that the _majority_ of current contributors is running
Windows?

Try setting up a native development environment for LilyPond on
Windows.  Come back when you are done.

> (3) If your developers all converge around a particular install setup,
> then you are missing out on important usability information from other
> platforms,

Oh, it's easy.  Windows: unusable for development.  It's been tried, and
the tries were not sustainable.  That's why we have GUB, a
cross-compilation environment for creating Windows/MacOSX/etc
distributions.

> and the risk is that users are failed because developers weren't aware
> of the needs and requirements in cases outside their own setup.

Please compare LilyPond's track record to that of _any_ other project
delivering binaries for Linux, FreeBSD, MacOSX (PowerPPC _and_ Intel, I
might add) and Windows.  We make a working development release every
2 weeks for all platforms.

Which other project does that?  Can you please get more specific about
how we are failing our users here?

> I found the git-cl experience absolutely inexplicable given that at
> the time not only was GitHub offering the service it did, but similar
> experiences were available via Bitbucket, Launchpad and Gitorious.

They don't offer command line interfaces into issue trackers, do they?