Re: Failed 'make' with 2.17.27 from tarball

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Failed 'make' with 2.17.27 from tarball
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2013 12:34:02 +0200

Thomas Morley <address@hidden> writes:

>> Looks like it.  There were several recent changes in the build system,
>> actually even a change that was supposed to actually distribute
>> ly-grammar.txt.  It's conceivable that Make sees the distributed
>> ly-grammar.txt and does not bother regenerating it, while makeinfo
>> doesn't find it.  Which would mean that distributing ly-grammar.txt is
>> what causing the problem.  It may also be that unrelated problems are
>> involved.
>>
>> Did you try building in-place or in a separate build directory?
>
> In a separate build directory, following CG, doing
>
>      cd lilypond-2.17.27/
>      sh autogen.sh --noconfigure
>      mkdir -p build/
>      cd build/
>      ../configure
>      make

Do you have the corresponding config.log file?  It would be interesting
to see whether you have bison/flex installed.

We distribute the ly-grammar.txt and some other files precompiled for
the case where bison is not available.  It does not seem like this would
in general work with a separate build directory, but it might be that
the other files (parser.cc and parser.hh) get made available through
some symbol links or something.  At least that's the only way in which I
can imagine ly-grammar.txt being the point of failure (it's used later
than the other files, I think).