Re: cross-voice slurs

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: cross-voice slurs
Date: Sat, 09 Nov 2013 10:56:34 +0100

Janek Warchoł <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi,
>
> 2013/11/9 David Kastrup <address@hidden>:
>> Colin Campbell <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>>> I have an exercise which requires starting a note on one string, then
>>> adding a second note while the first is still sounding.  Graphically,
>>> it looks like a slur. My problem is that, in order to get timing
>>> right, I have to use two voices, and of course, I can't slur from one
>>> to the other.
>>
>> Well, if we are talking about a cello, you'll never have more than one
>> slur at a time, right?  So you might just move the Slur_engraver from
>> Voice level to Staff level.
>
> I have a quick thought.  What about creating a new grob named
> CrossVoiceSlur, which would be identical to Slur in all ways except
> that its engraver, Cross_voice_slur_engraver, would be placed in Staff
> context by default?  This way, one could use either normal or
> cross-voice slurs without messing things up.

I don't see how.  The information still needs to be given to LilyPond.
My particular proposal of moving the Slur_engraver up actually suffers
from a logical problem: if the Slur_engraver is placed at Staff level,
of course it will also get to see all notes and note columns at Staff
level.  So it will not pick sane attachment points.