Re: Isolated durations in music sequences now stand for unpitched notes

From: Janek Warchoł
Subject: Re: Isolated durations in music sequences now stand for unpitched notes (issue 22120043)
Date: Sun, 10 Nov 2013 19:05:33 +0100

2013/11/10  <address@hidden>:
> On 2013/11/10 11:48:13, janek wrote:
>> could you push it in a branch, so that I could read the commits in
>> sequence?
>
> dev/issue3648

thanks!
LGTM.

>> Good point.
>> However, what about restricting the "pitch inheritance" to the
>> current context,
>
> Like q, expansion is done while scorifying.  There are no contexts at
> that time.  Doing it in the parser (like durations are, and which q
> once was) would cause a bloody mess with \relative (which it did with
> q).  Doing it, say, at iteration, namely _yet_ _another_ time would be
> quite a nuisance and it would not be clear just which iterator would
> be responsible for keeping state.

ok, i see the problem.

> And with
>
> pling = #(define-music-function (parser location m) (ly:music?)
>            #{ $m 8. 16 \times 3/2 { 8 8 8 } #})
>
> then for \pling c'4 the pitch would get inherited, while for
> \pling { c'4 } it wouldn't?
>
> We had _all_ of that "restrict to one music expression" discussion in
> relation to q.  If you feel argumentative, dig out the hundreds of
> mails about that feature and reargue them in private.  Unless you come
> up with something new, I don't see why the conclusion should be
> different.

I have just today read some of the discussion about q, but i don't
have anything new to propose.  So, for me the discussion is closed.

It may be a good idea to put your explanations in a comment - maybe an
addition to the already existing comment describing
expand-repeat-notes! ?

thanks!
Janek