Re: Reasoning behind convert-ly rule for stable update?

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: Reasoning behind convert-ly rule for stable update?
Date: Sun, 24 Nov 2013 18:59:55 +0100 (CET)

> Does anybody know _why_ convert-ly updates at least to the last
> stable version number even if nothing else has been changed?

Looks like a bad idea, indeed.

> Or make \version accept a range?
>
> \version "2.16.0 - 2.17.28"
>
> Then LilyPond just needs to check the first number, and convert-ly
> just deals with the second number as long as it does not need to add
> another conversion.

I don't like this.  \version should stay unmodified if nothing gets
changed, and I favor a change in convert-ly accordingly.

However, I can imagine that, completely independent from convert-ly,
another script adds something like

  % tested with version "2.17.95"

and this comment gets updated whenever we feel it is the right thing
to do.

    Werner