Re: anyone notice speed of 2.17.95 on Windows ?

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: anyone notice speed of 2.17.95 on Windows ?
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2013 09:10:08 +0100

"Keith OHara" <address@hidden> writes:

> LilyPond has always been a slower on Windows than under Linux, but I get
> worried if it is more than twice as slow.  I would think the operating
> systems affect speed mostly through 1) the font server, 2) memory allocation,
> and 3) the Guile implementation.
>
> I timed one big score, Movement 1 of
> <http://www.mutopiaproject.org/cgibin/piece-info.cgi?id=1793>
>          2.16.2  2.17.95
>  WinXP   2m 30s  5m 10s
>  Fedora  1m 50s  1m 50s
> and do not like the 5m (although I remember version 2.12 taking 20 minutes
> for this movement)
>
> But the timing for another score
> <http://www.mutopiaproject.org/cgibin/piece-info.cgi?id=1320>
> comes out more evenly
>          2.16.2  2.17.95
>  WinXP   1m 15s  1m 30s
>  Fedora     46s     39s
>
> Maybe the first example has some specific quirk, so I'll dig deeper.
> The big change of using skylines for placement around music does not
> cost much when there are no lyrics or other text placed against music.
> Has anyone else noticed a troublesome slowdown?

Have you used the GUB-compiled binary package, or Fedora's built-in or a
self-compiled package?  I think that you probably can only make
platform-specific comparisons if you use GUB for all.

Of course, when the speed of our GUB-provided binary for Linux differs
vastly from that of self-compiled binaries, that's also reason for
worrying.