Hat Tip for Erik Sandberg's Thesis

From: Alexander Dorsk
Subject: Hat Tip for Erik Sandberg's Thesis
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2013 17:41:38 -0500

Hi LilyPonders (Ponderers?),

I'm new to the list, but just wanted to tip my hat to Erik Sandberg & his team of advisors for his thesis that's posted on the LilyPond page: http://lilypond.org/website/pdf/thesis-erik-sandberg.pdf .

This thesis is the most clearly written description I've encountered of how to process encoded music notation. It definitely makes me appreciate the power of LilyPond even more.

And I think this thesis is good not just for understanding LilyPond, but for music notation in general.

The vocabulary and figures used in the thesis were especially helpful. For me, terms like 'music stream', and the 'context tree' illustration in figure 5 were what made the lightbulb go on above my head.

I feel like this thesis should be required reading for anyone involved in computational music engraving.

Recently I've been looking at a few encoding systems (VexFlow, ABC, Guido). Now that I've read Erik's thesis, I have a better idea of what these other systems are doing.

Brilliant work Erik & Co., thanks for posting this!

-Alex

--
---
Want to learn music? We're building an online musical dojo: