Re: Cleanup and generalization: get rid of Audio_column. (issue 42600043

From: dak
Subject: Re: Cleanup and generalization: get rid of Audio_column. (issue 42600043)
Date: Sat, 21 Dec 2013 05:59:17 +0000

On 2013/12/21 02:58:05, Devon Schudy wrote:

OK: Issue 3744 fixes that for all score-level translators by creating
the Score context before iteration starts. Creating it later was
dubious anyway, because Score_engraver or Score_performer is needed
for iteration to work. AFAICT it's never valid to explicitly create a
score context (and the notation manual says so); if that's not true,
then this isn't safe.

Where does the manual say that?  It's not true.  Most particularly, it
is possible to do
\score {
  \new Score \with { .... }
  {
  }
}

The Japanese manual actually does that for removing Timing_translator.
While it appears like the other manuals do this differently, I don't
think that this practice has been officially "forbidden" and I can see
no reason do to so.

Other contexts can legitimately be created during iteration, so their
translators can still miss start_translation_timestep. That could be
prevented by calling start_translation_timestep in
Translator_group::create_child_translator, but that's not strictly
accurate since it's not actually the start of a timestep.

Better late than never...  The problem is then to avoid calling
start_translation_timestep twice under any circumstances.

https://codereview.appspot.com/42600043/