Re: CG organization (Git)

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: CG organization (Git)
Date: Sun, 22 Dec 2013 19:20:29 +0800

On Sun, Dec 22, 2013 at 09:55:39AM +0100, Urs Liska wrote:
> I'm somewhat confused about the organization of the CG chapters
> about Git and patch review.
>
> First:
> 3.2.2 Git for the impatient and
> 3.3 Basic Git procedures
>
> share some information, and this in a somewhat confusing way.
> Is there a _short_ explanation what these two chapters are intended for?

3.2.2 was added more recently than 3.3, and was supposed to be a
"no fluff" approach to git.  Some people like more or less verbose
explanations of what's happening.

IMO, neither of these sections should be read by newbies, but I
think that relied on the assumption that a mentor would be
available.  Without a mentor, we add 10+ hours to a new
contributor's first patch (unless the contributor has previous
experience with open-source projects).

> Second:
> 3.2. seems to be targeted at absolute beginners.
> So why does it explain the workflow with pushing to staging?
> Anybody who needs to read this chapter won't have commit access.

Most of 3.2 was written before we had staging, and I think it was
even before we had lily-git.tcl.