Re: Cleanup of ugly MI and SOL shaped noteheads (issue 45160043)

From: Carl Peterson
Subject: Re: Cleanup of ugly MI and SOL shaped noteheads (issue 45160043)
Date: Tue, 31 Dec 2013 12:54:41 -0500

On Tue, Dec 31, 2013 at 12:29 PM,  <address@hidden> wrote:
> On 2013/12/24 23:22:00, Carl P. wrote:
>
>> This may well need to happen. As I said, I've tried a few times over
>
> the
>>
>> last 8 or 9 months to inquire about the mi head particulary, with no
>> response.
>

> If you're the only person on the lists who cares, then you should be
> able to have it the way you want it.
>
> I'm curious, though, about the usage in chords.  In particular, it seems
> that chords in Walker notes can't possibly line up, since do is centered
> on the stem.  Are chords commonly used in shape notes?  Every reference
> I've seen has no chords -- only single notes.

Depending upon the style sheet, shaped notes have varying usage in
chords. Even in single-note formats (Sacred Harp, Southern Harmony,
etc.), there are examples of two notes being given for one part
(optional octaves or providing a second note to complete the chord,
typically SOL). For my own work, notes are nearly always written in
chords, unless the notes are less than a third apart or there is a
difference in rhythm. LilyPond's implementation of chords with Walker
is to center the stem if the notehead nearest the stem is DO or to act
normally otherwise.

> I'm fine to have this pushed if nobody else objects.  But I do like
> David K.'s suggestion of a message on -user with before and after
> shapes.

I have sample PDFs I generated showing before and after, both singly
and in chords. I haven't yet had time to convert/compress those
examples to smaller file sizes for sending to -user, but hope to in
the next couple of days. In the meantime, I'll probably take the patch
off the countdown.

Carl P.