Re: Tempo placement

From: Marc Hohl
Subject: Re: Tempo placement
Date: Mon, 03 Feb 2014 10:32:55 +0100

[CC'ing to -devel]

Am 03.02.2014 00:44, schrieb Eluze:
Marc Hohl wrote
Hi list,

I want the tempo indication to appear at the leftmost edge of the piece
(I know that Gould has a different opinion about this, but I am using
LilyJAZZ, and the Realbook style does not care about these typographic
conventions).

However, changing the break-align-symbols property does not seem to
have *any* effect:

\version "2.19.0"

melLeftEdge = {
    \override Score.MetronomeMark.break-align-symbols = #'(left-edge)
    \tempo "Slowly" 4 = 60
    c'4
}
\score { \new Staff { \melLeftEdge } }

melClef = {
    \override Score.MetronomeMark.break-align-symbols = #'(clef)
    \tempo "Slowly" 4 = 60
    c'4
}
\score { \new Staff { \melClef } }

melKey = {
    \override Score.MetronomeMark.break-align-symbols = #'(key-signature)
    \tempo "Slowly" 4 = 60
    c'4
}
\score { \new Staff { \melKey } }

How can I achieve a left-aligned tempo indication?

that sounds like a sophisticated problem!

instead of MetronomeMark try

   \override Score.RehearsalMark.break-align-symbols = #'(left-edge)

But the tempo indication is created by the MetronomeMark engraver, so
I'll have to wrap my tempo indication into a \mark construct ... that's
probably one way to go, but it's rather clumsy.

But why does LilyPond seem to ignore '(left-edge)? Is this a bug?

then, quoting the NR:

"Using the break-alignable-interface
Rehearsal marks and bar numbers may be aligned with notation objects other
than bar
lines.

... or is it just that the MetronomeMark interface does not support all
options?

These objects include ambitus, breathing-sign, clef, custos,
staff-bar, left-edge,
key-cancellation, key-signature, and time-signature.
Each type of object has its own default reference point, to which rehearsal
marks are aligned"

you'll have to determine the reference point you like.

hth - a bit

Eluze