Re: Include ly.music (from Frescobaldi) in LilyPond distribution

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Include ly.music (from Frescobaldi) in LilyPond distribution
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2014 15:41:48 +0100

Urs Liska <address@hidden> writes:

> I suggest that we include Frescobaldi's new ly.music library into LilyPond.
> https://github.com/wbsoft/frescobaldi/wiki/Notes-about-ly.music
> It is a library _and_ a script to process .ly files.
>
> For example it is able to construct a DOM for a LilyPond score and
> generate the .ly file from it. Apart from any other uses one might
> come up with this would make it easier to create the resulting
> LilyPond files from midi2ly or musicxml2ly
>
> I see the following tasks:
> - find a suitable place for the library in the source and build
> (probably below out/lib)
> - make it accessible (export the path)
> - incorporate it in the build system
> - create a straightforward way to pull updates into LilyPond's source dir.
>
> What do you think?

Well, issue 1 is that we need the authors to be ok with that.  Issue 2
is that a typical Frescobaldi/LilyPond installation will then have
competing installations of the library/script.  Depending on how active
development on Frescobaldi is, we need to agree on an installation
scheme that will not get in the hair of either Frescobaldi users and
non-users.