Re: astyle 2.02

From: Devon Schudy
Subject: Re: astyle 2.02
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2014 00:24:44 -0400

Janek Warchoł wrote:
> If "badly formatted" <=> "different than what fixcc.py would produce",
> i would say that LilyPond often gets badly formatted code - as you
> wrote, running fixcc now results in 400 lines of changes.

There's some formatting that's different from what fixcc.py would
produce, but very little that hurts readability. It's mostly arbitrary
choices like (string&) vs. (string &), or indenting by four spaces
instead of two, or K&R vs. GNU braces. These variations may offend our
desire for uniformity, but they don't make Lilypond hard to maintain.
(The things that do are mostly architectural, I think — iteration,
contexts, callbacks, parsers...) So there's not actually much to be
gained by reformatting. Contributors have been so careful that there
aren't many problems to fix.