Re: Missing make target in origin/master?

From: James
Subject: Re: Missing make target in origin/master?
Date: Fri, 05 Sep 2014 20:26:09 +0100

On 05/09/14 19:20, Villum Sejersen wrote:
On 04-09-2014 12:17, James wrote:
On 04/09/14 08:46, Villum Sejersen wrote:
On 04-09-2014 06:46, David Kastrup wrote:
Villum Sejersen<address@hidden> writes:

address@hidden:/usr/local/src/lilypond/build# git status
On branch master
Your branch is up-to-date with 'origin/master'.
nothing to commit, working directory clean

But since sept. 2.:

address@hidden:/usr/local/src/lilypond/build# make --silent
make[1]: *** No rule to make target
'/usr/local/src/lilypond/lily/include/ly-smobs.icc', needed by
'out/translator-dispatch-list.o'.  Stop.
/usr/local/src/lilypond/stepmake/stepmake/generic-targets.make:6:
recipe for target 'all' failed
make: *** [all] Error 2
make clean

Sometimes dependencies change and you cannot merely recompile.

Thank you very much.
I did not think of this, because ./autogen.sh did not report any errors.

'make clean' was not sufficient alone;
For some obscure reason I had to do a 'make distclean' first.

But now both application and docs compile. On my old AMD Athlon X2 the latter takes about an hour. :) Do you use an 'out of tree' build?
I believe yes, though I really don't exactly know what you are questioning.

I never try but to compile the origin/master, not anything else. I have no other branches.

1. autogen.sh --noconfigure

What's the purpose of this option? In my experience, it achieves absolutely nothing:

address@hidden:/usr/local/src/lilypond# ./autogen.sh --noconfigure
processing .
Running autoconf ...
Skipping configure process.
address@hidden:/usr/local/src/lilypond#

It allows you to then run the ../configure inside the build dir that you have just created.

2. mkdir build
3. cd build

I usually never totally replace the build directoy. If that's necessary, it is in my experience also necessary to retrieve the whole git source,and begin completely afresh!

There is no build directory to start in a clean git with so I am not sure what you are 'replacing' here. Your experience is odd. As I do this process about 2 - 3 times most days

4 ../configure --disable-optimising

This option has never been necessary in my setup.

No but the disable-optimising as far as I am told makes for a more rigourous 'make' (I don't pretend to know but as I test most of the patches that get submitted, I am asked to use this option for the most thorough testing of patches). Don't use it if you don't want to.

5. make etc. etc.

That way I can just destroy the build dir and start again without worrying too much about having to make clean or dist clean - at least it seems to be that way for me. We mention this method in the LilyPond Contributor Guide.

Well, I am not a contributor, perhaps except for over the years stumbling on a few small bugs...

James

My setup perhaps is unusual: It's a plain debian testing, /not/ ubuntu.

So is mine.

Actually mine at work is, mine at home is Linux Mint I forget which.

Creating an out of tree build has saved me hours of frustrating trying to clean up a borked make, I just cd back into the top level, delete the build dir and start again.

James