Re: conditional (on-the-fly) music

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: conditional (on-the-fly) music
Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2015 15:58:26 +0100

Dan Eble <address@hidden> writes:

>> On Jan 11, 2015, at 07:14 , David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:
>>
>> Dan Eble <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>>> I’m working on a change that allows this:
>>>
>>>  \repeat volta 4 {
>>>    \conditional #(except-in-nth-volta 3) {
>>>       c4^"3rd time tacet” …
>>>    }
>>>  }
>>>
>>> It is engraved normally, but when \unfoldRepeats is used for MIDI output,
>>> the conditional passage is skipped during the 3rd volta.  It does this by
>>> checking a new context property that is set in unfolded music.
>>>
>>> Any feedback?  I am having a hard time finding the right place to put
>>> the predicate-generator functions "except-in-nth-volta" and
>>> "only-in-nth-volta".
>>
>> I think a reasonable way to do that would be to allow some construct like
>>
>> \expandrepeat { c4^"3rd time tacet" } { { c4 } { c4 } { r4 } { c4 } }
>
> Your suggestion is very similar to what one must do already

Huh?  You cannot at the current point of time do anything like that
inside of a repeat construct.

> and I’m trying to make it simpler.

We are likely talking about different things.  I am talking about a
useful generic mechanism for specifying unexpanded and expanded
renditions.  You are talking about a particular user interface for one
particular use case.