Re: \displayLilyMusic and default durations

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: \displayLilyMusic and default durations
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2015 19:46:59 +0100

Am 18.02.2015 um 19:00 schrieb David Kastrup:

Hi, currently
\displayLilyMusic { c4 c c c } produces output { c4 c c c }.  I lean
towards letting it produce output { c4 c4 c4 c4 }.  Reason: that's
what's actually in the data structures of the music.  The machinery that
tries to decide when it can leave off the default duration is
potentially error-prone and carries state across the expression.

More seriously, currently \displayLilyMusic deals badly with
{ c4 c4 8 8 4 } which gets rendered as { c4 c 8 8 4 } and does
consequently not recreate its input.  It would be rather tricky to fix
that since by the time the 8 is printed, c and the following space have
already been produced.  Instead of making things even more complex here,
I consider it saner to become less clever and just print what's in the
data, never mind whether it's possibly redundant.

Opinions?

I agree.
{ c4 c c c } could be even considered as potentially misleading.

--
Urs Liska
www.openlilylib.org