Re: lilypond documentation build issue (both 2.18.2 and 2.19.16)

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: lilypond documentation build issue (both 2.18.2 and 2.19.16)
Date: Fri, 06 Mar 2015 15:09:36 +0100

Petr Gajdos <address@hidden> writes:

> Hello,
>
> please help me with debugging following build failure:
>
> https://build.opensuse.org/build/multimedia:apps/openSUSE_Factory/x86_64/lilypond-doc/_log
>
> fretted-strings.texi2pdf.log reads:
>
> -----------------------
>>
> This is pdfTeX, Version 3.1415926-2.5-1.40.14 (TeX Live 2013/TeX Live
> for SUSE Linux)
>  restricted \write18 enabled.
> entering extended mode
> (./fretted-strings.texi
> ./fretted-strings.texi:10: Undefined control sequence.
> l.10 @c \version
>                  "2.19.2"
> ?
> ./fretted-strings.texi:10: Emergency stop.
> l.10 @c \version
>                  "2.19.2"
> ./fretted-strings.texi:10:  ==> Fatal error occurred, no output PDF
> file produc
> ed!
> Transcript written on fretted-strings.log.
> /usr/bin/texi2dvi: pdfetex exited with bad status, quitting.
> -----------------------
>
> Interesting for me as texinfo noob is, that the failure happens while
> processing a comment.

Top-level Texinfo files generally start with a line

\input texinfo

and it is only that line that causes the file to be processed as a
Texinfo file.  fretted-strings.texi is not a toplevel info file and does
not contain such a line.  It is intended for inclusion by notation.texi
(generated from notation.tely).  If your build procedure is running
texi2pdf on fretted-strings.texi, nothing useful can come of that.

So the problem is not one with fretted-strings.texi but rather with what
causes your build procedure to run texi2pdf on it in the first place.