Re: Guitar right-hand fingering

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Guitar right-hand fingering
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2015 11:14:39 +0100

Peter Bjuhr <address@hidden> writes:

> On 2015-03-17 11:00, Peter Bjuhr wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I just noticed that in the documentation about right-hand fingerings
>> in the common notation for fretted strings:
>> http://www.lilypond.org/doc/v2.19/Documentation/notation/common-notation-for-fretted-strings#right_002dhand-fingerings
>> the fifth finger isn't mentioned.
>>
>> I also tried|\rightHandFinger #5| and an 'x' was printed. As I
>> understand it 'x' is printed for all non supported numbers. But
>> although perhaps not so common the fifth finger is used (with the
>> letter 'c'):
>>
>> 1 = p = pulgar,     2 = i = índice,     3 = m = mayor,     4 = a =
>> anular,    5 = c = chiquito
>>
>> My hope in writing this is that this could be easily added to
>> LilyPond. One can of course easily use markup instead, but I think
>> it would be nice for the sake of completeness.
>>

> On second thought, I know everyone here is busy with other tasks. If
> someone would point me in the right direction I'll take a look myself
> and hopefully come up with a proposing patch.

address@hidden:/usr/local/tmp/lilypond$ git grep pima
po/fi.po:msgstr "lisätään nuottipää sopimattomaan varteen (tyyppi = %d)"
address@hidden:/usr/local/tmp/lilypond$

Uh no.

address@hidden:/usr/local/tmp/lilypond$ git grep '"p" "i"'
scm/define-grobs.scm:        (digit-names . #("p" "i" "m" "a" "x"))
address@hidden:/usr/local/tmp/lilypond$

That should likely give you a starting point.