Re: Staff ends before \clef, \time and \key

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Staff ends before \clef, \time and \key
Date: Wed, 08 Apr 2015 10:24:53 +0200

Reinhold Kainhofer <address@hidden> writes:

>>> That sounds like issue 660
>>> <URL:https://code.google.com/p/lilypond/issues/detail?id=660>.
>>>
>>> Try
>>>    \override Staff.StaffSymbol.break-align-symbols =
>>> #'(time-signature key-signature staff-bar break-alignment)
>>>
>>> The default is just #'(staff-bar break-alignment) and the staff will
>>> reach to the first encountered element in the list.
>>>
>>> This might warrant some better documentation I suppose.
>
> Dear David,
> Thank you for the hint with break-align-symbols, which works much
> better than the suggestion on the user list to simply use "s8" to
> prolong the staff (but introduces other issues, like a \mark "seque
> Terzetto" stretching the staff lines after the final time change)...
>
> So, basically, you are saying that this is not a regression from 2.18
> to 2.19, but rather an intended change? In that case, I will refrain
> from submitting a bug report.

It's probably more a matter of submitting a _different_ bug report.
Figure out what kind of documentation you'd have consulted, and then
submit an improvement request for it.

There may also be a combination of bugs and/or misfeatures involved
here: there is no obvious reason why StaffSymbol.break-align-symbols
should not default to covering time-signature and key-signature as well.
But I suspect that it would then extend to cover time signatures and key
signatures in _other_ staves even in the case of ossia staves ending
right there.

But when having several staves extend beyond time signature and key
signature, it might make sense to let them all end at the same cutoff.

So there might be some reason to choose a different default, and there
might be some reason to change the manner in which the setting is
interpreted, by heeding or not heeding the respective elements in other
staves.

And whatever is the final chosen behavior, it needs to be discoverable
in the documentation.