Re: Issue 4345 in lilypond: Patch: Part combiner: allow a2 chords

From: Dan Eble
Subject: Re: Issue 4345 in lilypond: Patch: Part combiner: allow a2 chords
Date: Sun, 19 Apr 2015 08:24:43 -0400

> Comment #7 on issue 4345 by kristofbastiaensen: Patch: Part combiner: allow
> a2 chords
> https://code.google.com/p/lilypond/issues/detail?id=4345
>
> I've put up my code on github: https://github.com/kuribas/part-combiner
>
> I honestly don't understand why they kept the broken part combiner…

Kristof,

Thanks for publicizing that.  I haven’t reviewed your code, but I notice that
there are no examples.  I speak only as a contributor, but I expect that people
would probably be more motivated to consider your algorithm if you provided
examples that show how your implementation improves on Lilypond's.  These
examples could then become regression tests once the failures are corrected.

Accepting a major rewrite that changes the default output significantly is
probably not going to happen because of the effect it will have on existing
scores, but it seems likely that we could create a friendier way to select the
part-analysis algorithm to use and include alternatives similar to the way
there are alternative page-breaking algorithms.
—
Dan