Re: \change Voice

From: Dan Eble
Subject: Re: \change Voice
Date: Sun, 3 May 2015 19:44:24 -0400

On May 3, 2015, at 16:42 , David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:

> Dan Eble <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Adding a wrapper context will have undesirable effects.
>
> The question is what requirements or mechanisms we could employ in order
> to remove the undesirable effects.
>
> For example, it could be possible to define a special translator for
> subcontexts that diverts (all? all but specified?) overrides to the
> parent context.

That seems like it would help.

> Or generally let "Bottom" overrides register at the "topmost" "Bottom”.

That would still require mentioning Bottom in the override, right?  If so,
that’s ugly.  (Otherwise, it’s not so bad.)

> If a wrapper context would be a good tool except for "undesirable
> effects", addressing those seems like a good idea, probably not just for
> this application.

I can’t fully support that statement yet.  The handling of multi-measure rests
is still an area of uncertainty.  My wrapper-context experiment did not show
any mmrest problems in the regression tests, but I wonder about the coverage;
but I intend to let that rest for now while I try the part-specific split-list
idea.

> The part combiner is nowhere near where I consider it a smooth and
> elegant tool in the box.  There is a lot of room for experimentation but
> also frustration and dead ends.

No kidding.
—
Dan