Re: Classification of grace synchronisation

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Classification of grace synchronisation
Date: Mon, 06 Jul 2015 11:18:23 +0200

ArnoldTheresius <address@hidden> writes:

> This is a trial to classify the different grace synchronisation situations.
> I do not claim completeness, nor do I claim I’ve listed the best method to
> solve the major subset of issue 34.
>
> In my collection of grace synchronisation issues (yes, I speak from them in
> plural) I can see most of them are “two tier situations” (i.e. it just
> depends where the event in the voice is placed compared with the whole
> score) and a few of them are “three tier situations” (i.e. it also depends
> on which events are collected into the same staff during the grace time
> steps before this event).

[100s of lines deleted]

A solution/situation that is so complex to describe in plain text does
not sound maintainable in the rather muddled context of iterators.

My own take is that our best bet is likely to copy the grace_fixup
approach from the sequential iterator into the simultaneous iterator.
The gist is that at the start of parallel music with non-zero grace
elements, zero-duration events from the beginning of each music should
be executed before the first non-zero length event.