Re: Doc: Issue 4059: Document MIDI mapping and MIDI effects (issue 24998

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Doc: Issue 4059: Document MIDI mapping and MIDI effects (issue 249980043 by address@hidden)
Date: Tue, 07 Jul 2015 09:01:08 +0200

"Keith OHara" <address@hidden> writes:

> That programmer who added the code didn't know about Lilypond's
> engraver/performer method of routing events and property-changes to
> output, and didn't know much about midi, so the data flow doesn't make
> much sense in the context of Lilypond and MIDI.

git log -S midiChannelMapping

flags the culprit as a certain Jan Nieuwenhuizen.  Our current dearth of
development power makes it inadvisable to discourage contributors
showing a certain promise.  There was obviously a perceived need for
this feature: maybe is could better be met with different semantics?  If
so, which?