Re: Planning a MEI-to-LilyPond project

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Planning a MEI-to-LilyPond project
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 2015 18:36:12 +0200

Urs Liska <address@hidden> writes:

> I think this is a huge opportunity to bring LilyPond forward. First
> this will bring us a whole new range of users and use cases, maybe
> even to a point where a general audience will take notice of LilyPond
> on a different level. Second this potential new user base (the
> academic music edition community) can be expected to contribute back
> to LilyPond, in short and on the long run. And finally this project
> would mean significant amounts of money (= development capacity)
> thrown at us, and one can assume a significant share of that going
> into LilyPond development itself, and a significant share of *that*
> part benefitting LilyPond users in general, without considering the
> MEI/Digital Edition part.

Well, the main question when money is about to get thrown at a project
is whether there is a viable way to convert that money into work being
done.  We have a very large hobbyist quota in the project, people who on
the one hand work for the love of working on LilyPond and on the other
hand tend to have a steady job already they are not likely to give up.
So they tend to work in their free time in the things interesting to
them, and money is likely not a major motivator for them to working
focusedly on something else.

There are a few small publishers among formerly and possibly currently
active developers.  It's conceivable that they might have either
interest or capacity and capability for contributing to solutions here.