Re: multiple TextSpanners per voice

From: Trevor Bača
Subject: Re: multiple TextSpanners per voice
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 2015 12:44:05 -0400

Hi,

I'd like to add that I'm *incredibly* excited by this work. The ability to
have multiple text spanners in a voice -- and to tweak each independently
-- is something I've wanted in LilyPond for many years. (I responded to a
different thread about this a touch too early only moments ago; apologies,
catching up on list mail.) This is really incredibly exciting to me, and I
think it will be to very many other composers once the ability is made
clear in a public release (and in the docs).

For what it's worth, I'd very much like to request the promotion of this
work to a fully acknowledged new feature (respecting, of course, the needs
of feature sequencing in the release process).

I'm not quite sure what the best (user) interface for this is. I suppose
\startTextSpan[One|Two|Three|Four] will work. Though it seems like
\startTextSpan #1 or \startTextSpan #"fancy-spanner-name" would be a more
complete generalization of the feature.

Regardless of the user interface, this work is important. Please consider
elevating the change to a full feature (with a NEWS entry and a graphic
example or two) with user syntax that is as streamlined and clear as
possible. I think we will be surprised at the amount of uptake among many
composers.

Thanks so much for this, David.

Trevor.