Re: quarter tones in tablature - FretBoards

From: dan
Subject: Re: quarter tones in tablature - FretBoards
Date: Sat, 31 Oct 2015 13:21:22 -0400

On 2015-10-31 12:49, pls wrote:
address@hidden writes:

On 2015-10-31 11:39, pls wrote:
Thomas Morley <address@hidden> writes:
Personally, I don't like any of those and lean towards excluding
quarter-tones from FretBoards at all and let output the warning about
"Missing fret for pitch ~a on string ~a" as before.
Letting only TabStaff display quarter-tones.

I'm of the same opinion as it doesn't/shouldn't really matter
pitchwise where exactly you
place your finger within a fret space on a fretted instrument.

I'm no guitarist, but don't they sometimes pull sideways on the string
or use a mechanical attachment to sharpen a note?

Yes, pull-offs are quite common but it's rather a technique to pluck the
string with your fretting hand.  With "mechanical attachment" you're
probably alluding to a capo.  It acts like a sort of artificial
"barre".  It fits around the neck of the guitar and raises the pitch of
all (or only some of the) strings.  LilyPond already displays capo
indications as a thick bar
in fret diagrams.  Bottlenecks are also used to sharpen or lower a
note. It works like some sort of a "movable fret".
But I've never seen quarter tone indications in fret diagrams.

Cheers,
Patrick

I was thinking of things like these:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vibrato_systems_for_guitar

BTW: Did you deliberately not reply to the list?

No. I'm stuck using an unfamiliar web-mail interface while my main computer is being repaired; I must have hit the wrong button. Thanks for noticing.
--
Dan