"Critical error" starting LilyDev

From: John Gourlay
Subject: "Critical error" starting LilyDev
Date: Mon, 2 Nov 2015 10:04:33 -0500

I’m a new user of LilyPond hoping to get involved in development. I’ve
installed VirtualBox and with it I’ve created a virtual machine with the
LilyDev disk image. The Debian installation completed, but it won’t run;
VirtualBox gives me a popup error message saying, “A critical error has
occurred while running the virtual machine…” Do you have any suggestions for
overcoming this problem?

I’m running Mac OS X version 10.10.5, VirtualBox version 5.0.8, and the LilyDev
disk image lilydev-4.0-i386.hybrid.iso. What other information would be most
helpful in diagnosing the problem?

John Gourlay