Re: New contributor mentor program?

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: New contributor mentor program?
Date: Fri, 20 Nov 2015 22:00:24 +0100

Sam Bedell <address@hidden> writes:

> Hey developers,
>
> Not sure if this is the right place for this question, but does anyone
> know if the mentorship program described in the documentation still
> exists,

We don't have enough knowledgeable volunteers reliably available.

> and if so how I could get set up with one?

Best to ask for pointers on the list.

> I have experience in c++ and java, but none in open source
> contribution and after reading the documentation I'm still not sure
> how to get started.

Well, compiling your own version of LilyPond from the Git archive is the
first step.  If you don't get that managed, get back to the list.
Getting acquainted with LilyPond's way of using Scheme is the next:
there is not a lot one can reasonably do in C++ without having a good
idea how it ties into the user experience of LilyPond, and the
programming layer of the user experience is Scheme, more concretely
Guile.

There is a short Scheme introduction in the "Extending Guide" of
LilyPond.

All the best