Re: Issue number in commit message (Fwd: [testlilyissues:issues] #4704 I

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Issue number in commit message (Fwd: [testlilyissues:issues] #4704 Improve beam count handling with subdivided beams)
Date: Mon, 28 Dec 2015 16:33:52 +0100

Urs Liska <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi all,
>
> I've just pushed my patch for #4704, having reworked the branch to five
> discrete commits (removing detours but separating work on different
> files/tasks).
>
> However, I somehow managed to mix up the issue number in several commit
> messages, so only one commit out of the list quoted below features the
> right number #4704 while the remaining ones are labeled as belonging to
> #4707.
>
> I'm sorry about the glitch, and I know that this doesn't make a problem
> - technically. However, it may cause confusion at a later point.
>
> What do you think, should this be "fixed" somehow?.
>
> Probably it's not an option to reset staging to c8a49d69 (current
> master) so I could edit the commit messages and push again?

I've reset staging to master: only your commits were in there and patchy
had not yet pushed them to master (even if some patchy instance is
already testing your changes, it will notice my intervention and refrain
from pushing anything to master that does no longer contain staging).

So you may use git rebase -i origin on your feature branch, reword the
commit messages, and push again to staging.

Remember fixing the issue report which now talks about commit ids that
never made it to master.