Re: hyphen syntax

From: Dan Eble
Subject: Re: hyphen syntax
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2016 09:46:32 -0500

> On Feb 17, 2016, at 05:18 , Jean-Charles Malahieude <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> Le 14/02/2016 20:41, Dan Eble a écrit :
>> Are there technical limitations that require typing a double hyphen
>> to hyphenate lyrics?  Why not just one?
>>

> Technically, I don't know. But, in terms of coherence, I would leave it as it
> is:
>
> one hyphen is treated as one syllable, just like one underscore "skips" one
> (group of) note

But is it useful for a bare hyphen to be treated as a syllable?  I don’t recall
having seen any examples of that.

> one double-hypen (which may output several dashes depending of the length of
> a melisma) separates syllables of a same word, like a double-underscore draws
> a line indicating the last syllable has to last over serveral notes.

I think it should be reversed.  It is more convenient to use the shorter symbol
for the more common case.  To specify a hard hyphen in a compound word, I would
prefer something like this.

  Jean \hh Charles Mal - a - hieu - de
  (apologies if it's wrongly broken)

I’m not advocating \hh especially, just using it as a placeholder.

And if someone really wanted a hyphen character as a syllable, could they not
use “-“?
--
Dan