Re: Lose the tagline (permanently)

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Lose the tagline (permanently)
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 2016 00:16:12 +0100

Dan Eble <address@hidden> writes:

>> On Feb 23, 2016, at 16:14 , David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:
>>
>>> I may be nitpicking here, but is there a reason why we should keep the
>>> "www." prefix in the printed URL? The actual website has never
>>> required it (and it looks a bit more elegant without).
>>
>> Sounds reasonable.
>>
>> Ok, this is silly...
>

> Making the tag language-independent is a good idea.
>
> Turning the URL into a hyperlink would be an improvement.
>
> I think it’s a mistake to remove the version number.

Oh, this was not intended as a full proposal: too heavy-handed for
that.  I agree that the version number makes sense: it tells the
insiders what version was used and whether recompilation of the source
(wherever one may find it) might be a good idea.

And it tells the non-insiders that this is talking about a piece of
software rather than a publishing house, without getting
language-dependent for that.  Pretty good deal for a few numbers.