Re: GSoC: MusicXML export

From: Paul Morris
Subject: Re: GSoC: MusicXML export
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2016 10:49:47 -0400

Hi David,

> On Mar 24, 2016, at 5:23 AM, David Garfinkle <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> What do you think are necessary music
> expressions that should be included in the concrete goals of the project?
> Is polyphonic music & multiple parts a priority over other music
> expressions like chord symbols, fingering, glissandos, dynamics, etc.

My view is that the aspects that are more complex and harder to implement
should be given priority.  GSoC provides the time needed to tackle those
things, whereas simpler aspects will more easily fit into the smaller chunks of
spare time most people have outside of GSoC.  You probably know as well as
anyone what the more and less complex or difficult aspects are.

That consideration could be weighed alongside use or demand for a given aspect,
but since we ultimately would like to support everything, or at least as much
as possible, I would still tend to favor prioritizing what is difficult to
implement.

And I also think you’re right that getting the basics or “necessities” first
and then moving on from there is a good idea.  Being able to export basic
pitches and rhythms is a good milestone.

Best,
-Paul