Re: issue 4813: replace urchin.js with analytics.js and fix redundant ho

From: fedelogy
Subject: Re: issue 4813: replace urchin.js with analytics.js and fix redundant hostnames (issue 294020043 by address@hidden)
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2016 11:08:28 +0000

https://codereview.appspot.com/294020043/diff/1/Documentation/web/server/lilypond.org.htaccess
File Documentation/web/server/lilypond.org.htaccess (left):

https://codereview.appspot.com/294020043/diff/1/Documentation/web/server/lilypond.org.htaccess#oldcode19
Documentation/web/server/lilypond.org.htaccess:19: # Deny following of
symlinks by robots.
On 2016/03/30 10:20:52, PhilEHolmes wrote:
This version causes Firefox to complain, with "Firefox has detected
that the
server is redirecting the request for this address in a way that will
never
complete"

A bit more research led me to:

# Permanent redirect from http://www.lilypond.org to
http://lilypond.org
RewriteCond "%{HTTP_HOST}" "^www\.(.+)$" [NC]
RewriteRule "^(.*)$" "http://%1/$1"; [R=301,L,NE]

which does work, and is in place currently.

Are you sure?
It's not working here (I've cleared the cookies and checked also on a
fresh browser). Any www URL cannot redirect to the non-WWW URL.
Epiphany says "Too many redirects". It's a redirect loop.

Maybe we need a second condition to prevent the loop?
If you see the last example here (actually the opposite of what we are
trying to achieve):
https://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.4/rewrite/remapping.html#canonicalhost

what is the second line doing?

RewriteCond "%{HTTP_HOST}" "!^www\." [NC]
RewriteCond "%{HTTP_HOST}" "!^$"
RewriteRule "^/?(.*)"      "http://www.%{HTTP_HOST}/$1"; [L,R,NE]

I used this as a base to work on what I wrote, but I did not understand
what this second line was doing in that context so I omitted it. How can
we adapt it to enforce the non-WWW?

https://codereview.appspot.com/294020043/