Re: Silently depressed keys

From: Heikki Tauriainen
Subject: Re: Silently depressed keys
Date: Wed, 01 Jun 2016 01:02:44 +0300

On Monday, 2016-05-30 at 21:53 -0400, Dan Eble wrote:
> Here’s something else I could use help with.  The person who wrote
> Midi_note decided that a negative (“unknown”?) Audio_dynamic should
> be treated as 90/127, whereas the person who wrote Midi_dynamic
> decided that a negative Audio_dynamic should be treated as
> 100/127.  Unless there is a good reason for this inconsistency, I
> would like to move the default into Audio_dynamic itself; but I’m not
> sure which value to use.  Are these specific values important, or are
> they just two individuals’ fingers in the wind?

I don't know any better about the importance of the particular values
(and haven't thought of whether, and how easily, it would be possible
to actually trigger a case where an Audio_dynamic has a negative
value).

To my understanding, however, Midi_dynamic events are no longer used
for MIDI output by default (as a result of changes for issue #4730),
unless the "encode_dynamics_as_velocity_" flag (hard-coded to be always
true) in Staff_performer::acknowledge_audio_element is set to false
before compiling the code.  Therefore, the default value 100/127 does
probably not get used very much (and could be safely made consistent
with the Midi_note default, for example).

--
Heikki Tauriainen