Possible errors reimplementing musicxml2ly fix for issue 4581

From: John Gourlay
Subject: Possible errors reimplementing musicxml2ly fix for issue 4581
Date: Sun, 19 Jun 2016 22:48:18 -0400

I sent the message below to Tobias Kretschmar using the email address
address@hidden and after a few days it was returned as undeliverable. Does
anyone know an alternate way to reach him? Tobias, are you following this email
list?

John Gourlay

ā€”ā€”-

Tobias,

In my recent work on LilyPond issue 4751 I had to reimplement the changes you
made for issue 4581 in February. It seems that I might have done an inadequate
job, and Iā€™m hoping that you will be able to help clarify the issue. It would
be especially useful if you could explain in more detail how you originally
verified that the bug was fixed. Was the bug originally evident in the LilyPond
output from the regression test 42a-MultiVoice-TwoVoicesOnStaff-Lyrics.xml? I
am attaching the PDF output from this test as it is produced now. Is it correct?

The background of this, in brief, is that I brought a large body of changes
into musicxml2ly that were made over several years separately from LilyPond in
the Philomelos project. Not fully understanding the Philomelos changes, I opted
to preserve the Philomelos code when it seemed to work rather than recreating
the latest LilyPond code. The effect of this strategy was apparently to remove
some of your changes. If you are interested you can see the whole discussion
between me and David Kastrup at the end of the long series of comments to issue
4751.

John Gourlay