Re: What to do with input/regression/page-spacing.ly

From: tisimst
Subject: Re: What to do with input/regression/page-spacing.ly
Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2016 12:44:07 -0700 (MST)

On Thu, Jun 23, 2016 at 2:55 AM, Thomas Morley-2 [via Lilypond] <
address@hidden> wrote:

> X-offset and Y-offset are working more like 'extra-offset.

They do, but extra-offset is based on the default X-offset and Y-offset
values. Setting Y-offset here is based on the page's zero-reference (the
bottom of the top allowable location). Likewise for X-offset (from the
left-side). So, why not make Y-offset behave like it does for every other
grob (i.e., it influences the vertical spacing of other staves/systems
around it) and add the extra-offset property such that it behaves like it
does for every other grob (i.e., it moves the staff/system, but doesn't
influence the spacing of any other staff/system)?

Another idea. What if, when calculating the vertical-skyline, setting the
Y-offset value could vertically offset the skyline up or down making the
system/staff seem bigger or smaller to the spacing algorithms than it
actually is? I guess that's more like changing Y-extent, but maybe there
could be a convenient way to do that? 'extra-Y-extent maybe? It could take
a pair where the car is the lower side and the cdr is the upper side? Just
some thoughts.

I think it's desireable to get (at least some of) the old
> possibilities working again, so that the interplay of manually
> tweaking the automatic behaviour works nicely.
> No idea how hard it would be to reimplement this, though.

+1!

Best,
Abraham