Re: Replace `-dgs-load-fonts' to `--bigpdfs' in lilypond-book (issue 300

From: Carl Sorensen
Subject: Re: Replace `-dgs-load-fonts' to `--bigpdfs' in lilypond-book (issue 300280043 by address@hidden)
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2016 17:48:18 +0000

On 7/22/16 9:35 AM, "lilypond-devel on behalf of David Kastrup"
<address@hidden on behalf of
address@hidden> wrote:

>A 30% reduction in the final output file size sounds nice.  Personally,
>I find the prospect of not having 4GB of disk usage for running
>lilypond-patchy-staging quite more compelling, and I would seriously
>suspect that all the amount of font juggling and merging subsetted fonts
>will not just take quite a bit of disk space but also of processing
>time.  So if we could successfully pull this off and have it work
>reliably for lilypond-book, I consider it likely to end up as a real
>boon in resource usage.

I expect this to be a real boon as well.

However, without doing a careful study, I expect that the 4GB of disk
space used for running lilypond-patchy-staging largely related to the
large number of snippet files, each of which rather inefficiently uses
disk allocation units.  So I'm not sure I see a huge reduction in this
overall disk usage for running patchy.

But this is just a hunch, not a demonstrated reality.

Thanks,

Carl