Re: Is Anyone Working on a Better Tablature Algorithm?

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Is Anyone Working on a Better Tablature Algorithm?
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2016 15:36:11 +0100

christopher-heckman <address@hidden> writes:

> In the past few years, a couple of algorithms have been released which
> do a better job for tablature. Since Lilypond uses one of the most
> naïve ones (not much different from the one that TuxGuitar uses), it
> might be time for an update.
>
> Is anyone working on this? I haven't been able to find any information
> on current projects.

Personally I think there should be a _translator_ doing the string/fret
assignment and recording it into the music expression.

Why?

This translator can keep context and, for example, default to using the
identical assignment for repeated chords, continued _notes_ and similar.

It can also be employed at TabStaff level (rather than at TabVoice
level) in order to create a workable assignment for polyphonic
guitar/lute play.

The output of the translator would obviously be also usable for
fretboard diagrams and similar.

A "reverse" translator (quite simpler) could optionally translate
string/fret to note pitch.

The advantage of that would be that people could enter information in
tablature (namely as string/fret pairs) and manage to create tablature
as well as notes from it.  Currently you are restricted to entering
stuff as notes.

Some combination could even be used for letting people enter music in
tablature.

So with a bit of retooling, one end up with a more versatile set of
modular tools than what we have now.