Re: Contemporary notation (Re: GSoC projects list)

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: Contemporary notation (Re: GSoC projects list)
Date: Mon, 06 Feb 2017 20:45:39 +0100

Am 6. Februar 2017 20:34:36 MEZ schrieb Simon Albrecht <address@hidden>:
>On 06.02.2017 20:15, "Jürgen Reuter" wrote:
>> Another thing, I guess, is making it easy for musicians without
>> programming knowledge to smoothly embed their own articulation signs,
>> note heads, clefs, and other font symbols into LilyPond at runtime:
>> Just define a new articulation sign or note head shape or clef at the
>> top of your .ly file with a single short line of scheme code that
>> references some, say, .eps file.  I think this is still not that
>> easily possible, right?  (Please correct me, if I am wrong.)
>
>Sounds good.

Yes, this is the kind of stuff I had in mind, among others.

>> Personally, I am even not sure of how to properly notate contemporary
>> music.  Yes, I have seen e.g. excerpts of Stockhausen's score of his
>> Studie II, and Wehinger's aural score of Ligeti's Artikulation, as
>well
>> as a score of Kagel.  (LilyPond's short, long and very long fermata
>> signs were actually inspired by this score of Kagel.) Still, I am not
>> satisfied with such notation: At least to my perception, it typically
>> does not represent well essential nuances of e.g. electronic sounds.
>
>I think we should make as few such decisions as possible and rather
>stick with such notation as is already widely recognised as
>quasi-standard, e.g. following Kurt Stone, Music Notation in the
>Twentieth Century (Norton, New York 1980).
>
>Best, Simon

I think *if* there should be an application it will be by someone who has
actual needs, not someone with the big picture in mind. And this ud basically a
good thing because it provides the necessary enthusiasm.

So we should keep the proposal as open as reasonably possible and see the
mentor's and the community's duty as one of taking care of the abstract value
of the development.

Urs

(I'll reply to Jürgen's post when I'm back at a proper keyboard)