Re: Issue 5099 - staging broken?

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Issue 5099 - staging broken?
Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2017 11:08:19 +0200

Thomas Morley <address@hidden> writes:

> Sorry, for empty mail, misclicked.
> Obviously I need more coffee ...

>> Thomas Morley <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>>> accidently I permanently deleted the branch where the patch for issue
>>> 5099 was.
>>
>> That would be a rather difficult feat (you don't do things like that
>> "accidentally" with Git since you have to work very hard to do them,
>
> There were too much unneeded branches in my local repro, mostly
> containing already pushed commits.
> So I decided to do some clean up with
> git branch -D branch-name
> and out of a c/p-error the wrong branch was taken.

Well, as I explained in the rest of the mail, that's only telling Git
your intent to have that branch deleted, and it removes the reference to
the branch.  But the material and the history of the material lingers on
long enough that you can reclaim it until either a lot of time or much
more dangerous commands have passed.