help with bash script to translate @ref{} items in translated manuals

From: Federico Bruni
Subject: help with bash script to translate @ref{} items in translated manuals
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2017 08:20:26 +0200

Hi all

I recently realized that @ref{} links should be translated otherwise PDF links are broken (while HTML files still work fine without @ref{} translated).

Yesterday I started to manually translate all the @ref{} instances in the italian web, usage and learning manuals.
Now I've come to the notation manual, which has too many items.

[notation (translation %)]$ grep -oh -e @ref{.*} *.itely | sort -u | wc -l
257
[notation (translation %)]$ grep -oh -e @ref{.*} *.itely | wc -l
702

257 different @ref and a total of 702 @ref

Not all these 257 ref are translated (as translation of this manual is not complete yet), but most are. So I decided to try a bash script, but I have a problem with a regexp, which works fine in the terminal but not in the bash script.

Enter Documentation/it/notation and run this:

#!/bin/bash
LIST="$(grep -oh -e @ref{.*} *.itely | sort -u)"
for i in $LIST; do
   echo $i
#    echo -n "Replace" $i "with the translated node: "
#    read NODE
#    if $NODE=""; then exit
#    else
#        sed "s|$i|$NODE|g" *.itely
#    fi
done

You'll get something like:

@ref{Tuplets}
@ref{Turkish
classical
music}
@ref{Typesetting
Gregorian
chant}

The problem is the space character, which is not matched in the bash script.
Why?

Thanks in advance
Federico