Re: rest/mm-rest-markup

From: Carl Sorensen
Subject: Re: rest/mm-rest-markup
Date: Tue, 1 Aug 2017 13:03:23 +0000

On 7/31/17 8:08 AM, "lilypond-devel on behalf of David Kastrup"
<address@hidden on behalf of
address@hidden> wrote:

>Now the thing is that with the new change in place, we would not
>necessarily _need_ different arguments: an integral multiplier larger
>than 1 could be taken as a multi-measure rest count, like
>
>{1*4}
>
>So we likely _could_ get away with a single command: multipliers don't
>seem to make much sense in the context of markup rests.  I am not sure
>that is a good idea, though.  rest-markup would then have a convenient
>way of its own to flag multimeasure rests while rest-by-number-markup
>could not make use of it.

I think that it is confusing to the user to have a multiplier be anything
but a duration multiplier.

We already have had problems with people thinking that

r1*4

is the same as

\repeat unfold 4 {r1}

If we go with this change on MMR, we will be reinforcing that
misconception.  It's some syntactic sugar that will make understanding
more complex, IMO.

Thanks,

Carl