Re: vertical position of Rests and MMRs

From: Benkő Pál
Subject: Re: vertical position of Rests and MMRs
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2018 15:40:45 +0100

> Malte Meyn <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Hi list,
>>
>> I need some advice on how to deal with breve and longer rests. While I
>> tried to fix issue 3208 (correct choice of rest glyphs for MMRs) I
>> also “fixed” vertical position of the rest glyphs for shorter rests,
>> ia. e. I made the behaviour of Rests and MultiMeasureRests more
>> consistent. But this breaks some regtests (breve and longer rests in
>> TabStaff).
>>
>> Then I opened issue 5258 (correct vertical positioning of breve/longa
>> rest glyphs both for Rests and MMRs). This would fix these broken
>> regtests if I knew how to solve it (see discussion for my unsuccessful
>> attempts).
>>
>> How should I proceed?
>>
>> 1. try to change the patch for 3208 so that it doesn’t touch vertical
>> positions and leave this completely for later (not only 5258 but
>> another issue because half and shorter rests are *really* ugly at the
>> moment)

errrm, which are those other issues?  are those *really* uglier with
the 3208 patch than without?

>> 2. push the patch for 3208 (it’ll be counted down on Jan 19) and live
>> with the regression until 5258 is fixed
>> 3. push the patch for 3208 and decide that this regression isn’t that
>> bad because breve rests always look ugly in TabStaff
>> 4. let 3208 wait and try to make a patch which fixes both 3208 and
>> 5258 at the same time
>>
>> https://sourceforge.net/p/testlilyissues/issues/3208/
>> https://codereview.appspot.com/335410043
>>
>> https://sourceforge.net/p/testlilyissues/issues/5258/
>> [no patch for 5258 uploaded yet]
>
> An additional question is what to do regarding vertical repositioning
> with regard to _pitched_ rests.  I have argued in the past that we
> should leave any user-specified pitch completely alone and not try
> shifting it to grid positions even in the case of half and whole rests.
>
> There is some merit to that stance (and it probably should be available
> at least as an option) but it's less than great when one is actually
> working with transposed notes/themes/parts.

The whole argument was quite ramified, starting in
ramifying into e.g.
touching the transpose problem, and
(quite long, demonstrating that quite many stuff that look unrelated
at first sight are actually related)
and some more.

I expect pitched rests to be exactly where pitched and use a function
to fix the transposition problem.  I hope my
mensural-and-modern-from-common-source and mensural-canon-handling
functions still work.