why --output=dir option forces change to dir before running lilypond?

From: Federico Bruni
Subject: why --output=dir option forces change to dir before running lilypond?
Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2018 12:43:01 +0200

Hi all

I've already started a discussion about --output on -user:
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2018-03/msg00301.html

There is more than one issue in that thread.
Anyway, what I'd like to know is why --output force the change to output directory before running lilypond. I'm playing with lilypond and automation tools (such as Make and recently Meson) and it seems that this peculiarity of lilypond is breaking my simple projects (which work well in similar situations, where the "compiler" from text to pdf -- pandoc -- does not behave like lilypond does).

There's any good reason for this behaviour?

Thanks in advance
Federico