Re: Issue 5310: find_top_context () maintenance (issue 341150043 by addr

From: dak
Subject: Re: Issue 5310: find_top_context () maintenance (issue 341150043 by address@hidden)
Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2018 14:23:17 -0700

On 2018/04/25 23:05:08, Dan Eble wrote:
On 2018/04/25 10:44:22, dak wrote:
> It still has the disadvantage of adding a new class as baggage,
making it harder
> for newcomers interpreting code.  In particular the necessity of
overloading *,
> &, and -> operators raises the amount of knowledge required for
maintenance and
> debugging.  I am rather doubtful that this would be a good tradeoff
so I would
> not want to encourage you to indulge in a significant amount of work
here which
> I may not want to see added to the code base after all.

If you're at least open to reviewing something concrete, I'll put
something
together, but not today.  Thanks for your time so far.

I have forgotten one consideration: we convert pointers along the class
hierarchy (like between Grob * and Item *) and a similar conversion of a
user-created type would not likely work in a comparable manner.

https://codereview.appspot.com/341150043/