Re: sort input files (issue 347770043 by address@hidden)

From: pkxgnugitcl
Subject: Re: sort input files (issue 347770043 by address@hidden)
Date: Thu, 07 Jun 2018 08:45:58 -0700

On 2018/05/26 13:04:12, Dan Eble wrote:
On 2018/05/23 12:22:09, bmwiedemann wrote:
> sorting .o files instead of .cc

This is not quite what I meant.  If it works for you, fine, but I
think it is
more likely to break eventually than if you found the commands that
are being
invoked and sorted their arguments.  For example,

     $(CXX) -o $@ $(sort $(O_FILES)) blah blah blah

This puts the sort where it really matters and leaves no room for
modifying
O_FILES after the sort.  It would still be a good idea to include a
short
comment on the reason for the sort, because It isn't obvious.

Dan et al.

I am not seeing any feedback from Bernhard here on or on the tracker. I
don't want to waste good work, but it seems to me that this patch is
still not ready for pushing yet. I'll set the issue back down to
'review' for one more countdown before I will set it to 'needs_work',
but if you or someone else reading this (preferably Bernhard) can help
me understand if this can be pushed or not, then I'd rather not have to
make the unilateral decision myself to take it off the countdown (even
though I am Patch Meister).

James

https://codereview.appspot.com/347770043/